Friday 12 March 2010

For the love of Green Tabasco


There are some things in life that just make everything better. Waking up and seeing it is sunny, finding that fiver in the pocket of your coat when you put it on for the first time in ages, when the train draws in just as you make it to the platform. And green Tabasco.

I'm a relatively new convert. Its out-there red big brother has been a staple in scrambled eggs for, oh, as long as I've been eating scrambled eggs. When I started going out with The Boy he introduced me to the smoky brown daddy of Tabasco that we hunted out in Selfridges (though I've now discovered that they sell in Waitrose) which gives bacon and chilli a deep down and dirty southern drawl. But green? Green was too wishy-washy and girly for The Boy. Mild? He doesn't do mild (I blame teenage years of smoking for the spice obsession). But I was intrigued. It looked so pretty and green. I started with adding a kick to tuna salads. Nice. On grilled salmon. Goooood. Scrambled eggs. Hmm, good, red is better. But this week, I made my greatest green discovery: broccoli. I never thought to put it on green food! It was a revelation. Steamed tenderstem broccoli, good shake of green Tabasco, grind of pepper. It's all you need. Simple pleasures.

With this awakening I thought about all the other delicious green Tabasco adventures this little bottle might be able to take me on and discovered that those nice people at Tabasco have dedicated a whole webpage to recipes. Top of the list: Toasted Coconut Cake, Double-spiced Pumpkin Cheesecake, Hearty Pork and Parsnip Stew, Cajun Fish Stew and Caribbean Crab Cakes with Pineapple Salsa. I better stock up.

No comments:

Post a Comment